Sing with Us
AGMC auditions are virtual and we currently have open enrollment for new members.
Because we have everyone’s safety and well-being as top priority, our rehearsals are online and so are our performances. We will be putting together videos for digital performances!
Ready to join us? Email our Chorus President for more information.
Listen to Our Voices
Visit our YouTube Channel
The Audition Process
We have designed the audition process to be purposefully relaxed. Although highly desired, neither choral experience, vocal training, nor the ability to read music are required to sing with Austin Gay Men’s Chorus.
For the audition, the Artistic Director will vocalize each singer and ask them to sing the last section of The Star Spangled Banner, starting at “and the rockets red glare.” With this information, the Artistic Director will place each singer into the proper section (Tenor I, Tenor II, Baritone, or Bass). Optionally, the singer will be given the opportunity to sight-read a short melody to demonstrate further abilities.
In order to sing with the chorus, each singer must verify that their schedule meshes successfully with the rehearsal and performance schedule. After schedule verification, the audition will be scheduled. The rehearsal and performance schedule:
- Rehearsal on Mondays typically from 7-9:30 pm. Our season is divided into two semesters. The fall runs roughly from the middle of August through the first week of December. The spring runs from the middle of January through the first week of June.
- Our attendance policy allows 3 absences per semester, and an additional 2 absences may be excused by attending sectional rehearsals.
- Sectional rehearsals are TBD.
- There are usually two full chorus performances per semester. Check our events page for the dates for this season. During show weeks, there are always additional tech and dress rehearsals which are mandatory.
- The chorus is regularly asked to sing for community events and we strongly encourage members to be willing to “lend their voice” a few times per year for these occasions.
As a social non-profit organization, members of the chorus pay modest fees. Need-based scholarships are also available upon request, as we believe money should not be a barrier to singing with the Austin Gay Men’s Chorus.
- Annual Membership Dues of $25 (Our “fiscal year” begins in August.)
- Performance Fee of $65 per semester to help defray production costs.
Have questions about the audition process? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.