Sing with Us
Our Next Audition: Monday, August 19, 2019
Hyde Park Christian Church
610 East 45th St.
Austin, TX 78751
Note: Hyde Park is not affiliated with the chorus.
To schedule your audition or ask any further questions about the audition process, please contact the Austin Gay Men’s Chorus at email@example.com.
The Audition Process
We have designed the audition process to be purposefully relaxed. Although highly desired, neither choral experience, vocal training, nor the ability to read music are required to sing with Austin Gay Men’s Chorus.
For the audition, the Artistic Director will vocalize each singer and ask them to sing the last section of The Star Spangled Banner, starting at “and the rockets red glare.” With this information, the Artistic Director will place each singer into the proper section (Tenor I, Tenor II, Baritone, or Bass). Optionally, the singer will be given the opportunity to sight-read a short melody to demonstrate further abilities.
In order to sing with the chorus, each singer must verify that their schedule meshes successfully with the rehearsal and performance schedule. After schedule verification, the audition will be scheduled. The rehearsal and performance schedule:
- Rehearsal on Mondays, beginning August 19 from 7 – 9:30 pm
- Our attendance policy allows 3 absences per semester, and an additional 2 absences may be excused by attending sectional rehearsals
- Sectional rehearsals TBD
- Fall Show, September 28-29, 2019
- Holiday Show, December 6-8, 2019
- There are two additional tech rehearsals during the week of each show
As a social non-profit organization, members of the chorus pay modest fees. Need-based scholarships are also available upon request, as we believe money should not be a barrier to singing with the Austin Gay Men’s Chorus.
- Annual Membership Dues $25 (covers the season from August – May each year)
- Semester Performance Fees $65 (paid for August – December and then January – May)